I have Google Chrome on the left; my J2EE Container is Glassfish; and I have Oracle 11gR2 on the right, with Apex4.0 installed.
Sometimes I hate to admit it, but I don't do "networking". My Achilles heal is anything starting with "serv".
So when I rebooted my laptop recently and my browser said I couldn't connect to Apex, I thought - "I wonder what part of that horrible black box in the middle has broken?"
System Unavailable? I don't think so, Mr Laptop.
It wasn't really that bad. I pretended it was a development issue and started eliminating factors.
- My database was up
- I was about to get into the GlassFish Server Administration console ok (http://localhost:4848/), there didn't seem to be anything out of place.
- I restarted the server, the TNS listener, the Apex Listener
- I read through some documentation to look for troubleshooting ideas
- my apex-config.xml file was present and ok
Then I found myself looking at the username/password combination for APEX_PUBLIC_USER and thought "I wonder if that password has expired..."
Sure enough, all I needed to do was reset the password.
ALTER USER apex_public_user IDENTIFIED BY my_awesome_password;
I mention this because it could have quite easily bugged me for an hour, and I like to save some people pain. I know there are some out there learning Apex and their deployment is balancing on guesswork from (barely) following Oracle's installation instructions.
In other news, I find myself reading through Oracle's Apex Listener front page, and I don't notice the big red
APEX Listener Release 1.1 is now available
So Apex developers, the Apex Listener Release 1.1 is now available ;-)